Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Don't Blink..It is Pink, Pink, Pink All the Way!


You know how, when you commit to something publicly, you're made to bite the dust immediately? Like the time you turned down dinner invites from friends proclaiming that you're going to the gym that evening and wouldn't miss working out for the world. Then, it turned out that you had a very bad day at work and all you want to do is sit moping on the couch. Of course, it would so happen that the friend in question would call and snicker,

"Hey, I thought you were at the gym??! What're you doing at home? So much for your resolution! You missed a good dinner! Ha!"

It is indeed true, dears, that the Universe loves to mess with your head. It loves embarassing you in front of other people.

I've shouted to the world from rooftops that I don't like the color
pink. When my mother-in-law asked me what color
sarees I would like for the wedding, I had just one condition: No hot
pink or nearby shades. Anything else is fine. I was doing just fine until hubby dear got so attracted to a pink saree with kundan work at Pothy's. While I gulped and swallowed looking for alternatives, my mom and MIL swooped down with admiring cries of "Ooohs" and "aaahs". Umm..err. And so it was, dears, that I added the first-est, pink attire to my wardrobe. Anyways, I think that was an omen -- a sign from the Gods -- to mend my pink-hating ways. By the time I returned to the US after the wedding, I had added 3 more items in pink --

1. 1 gorgeous lehnga in pink courtesy Mum.
2. Kundan set to match the lehnga, also in pink courtesy Mum.
3. One more pink saree courtesy MIL.

Sigh. Honestly, I can't really say I hate those dresses. I mean, they're so gorgeous despite the color! Like I said, these were all signs of what was about to happen to me.

Anyways, not to bore you with all my personal make-over stories. I started off writing this post because I just finished reading "Can you keep a secret?" by Sophie Kinsella. And, dears, I am simply hooked! The story, like the cover, is a hot pink, cutesy, girly-girly plot. I never thought I'd become addicted to chick-lit but I am. The protagonist is simply too funny and preposterous. She gets into all sorts of weird situations but manages to wriggle out in the end! All-in-all, too good to pass up and I had to finish the book in one sitting (4 hours)!

Oh, dears, this doesn't mean that only girls should read this book. If you just want some mindless fun served with a sprinkling of human drama, you should read it! :) And umm..if you want some more of this, you should read the Shopaholic series by the same author. I did. And although I might never, ever get to the point where I love hot pink clothes, I think I've grown to appreciate those who wear it..:)


Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jus like your gunpun I had a friend who was a fervent pink rober. When I expressed my hatred for the color she asked me to look at it as a combi of red and white. Of course it never worked out and the redness still stays on the top of my nose. But somehow, when I see Mahesh Babu or Surya wearing the colored shirt in movies, it looks good. What say? should guys wear pink in the States?

The Doodler said...

Liking or disliking pink is just a personal choice. I dislike the color..but I guess, if some guys like it, why not? I think its unfair to limit the color palette for men by tagging some colors with concepts like "gay" or "homosexual" or "feminine" or whatever...

Aarthi said...

Hey very good post indeed.
Will checkout the book
About getting hooked to this book, i am also currently reading a book..which is so fascinating and I am voraciously gulping it down..
"Eat Pray Love" Elizabeth Gilbert..check it out.
Also your gunpun post was really nice.. When we were kids, we always feel... life is forever and that we will always find the other at some point of time so we never bother about things like...will we ever see this person again..isnt it?

expertdabbler said...

My hunch is, if only pink is not branded as girl's color, more guys would like it...

Like all colors, 'serkai mukiyam'
The combo that comes with pink often determines how likeable it is...